Kurt Eichenberger/architect AIA







Projects>Adaptive Reuse

Allen Forge Building

The Allen Forge building at 417 South Dawson Street was constructed in 1925 by Fitzhugh Ricks, as a blacksmith shop for lease to The Allen Forge and Welding Company. This early 20th century commercial building was occupied from 1925 until the mid 1950's by the Allen Forge company. Subsequent tenants included an electrical shop, a warehouse, and a retail store. The building fell into decline, and by 1980, the roof had collapsed.

The building was renovated in 1995 for use as an architect's office and commercial space. Original elements include the front facade with historic swinging truck entry doors, original steel industrial windows, and personnel doors and windows Structural elements such as steel trusses and the building's original boom crane were integrated into the industrial aesthetic of the office space. Roof monitors were added for daylighting and energy efficiency.


Sir Walter Raleigh Award, 1996

Capital Area Preservation, Inc.'s Anthemion  Award, 1996